What can you do to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19)?
The Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic has been part of our lives since the beginning of 2020, but with 150 new Covid-19 cases per day in the United Arab Emirates, remaining vigilant, stopping its spread, and knowing how to protect yourself from Coronavirus is still crucial.
Prevention is always better than a cure. Unfortunately, while Covid-19 is different from the average flu or allergy, it has one of the highest mortality rates, with over 6 million deaths worldwide.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), “The best way to prevent illness is to avoid exposure to this virus.”
As various vaccination drives are underway worldwide, we have compiled a list of some of the most common and simple steps to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus.
- Covid-19 vaccines are the most effective and efficient way to prevent yourself from contracting this virus. In addition, these vaccines are also helpful in preventing severe illnesses, hospitalizations, and even deaths.
- Vaccination is also the best way to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2, which causes Covid-19.
- WHO recommends that every individual eligible for vaccination should remain current on their Covid-19 vaccination.
Wear a mask
- The most basic level of protection yet the most effective. Wear a mask that best fits, protects, and offers comfort, especially in public places.
- Everyone aged 2 years or older - including passengers and workers - should wear masks in public areas such as schools, colleges, playgrounds, hospitals, offices, eateries, cinemas, public transport, and in crowded or poorly ventilated locations.
- Even if you are sick and need to be around others or care for someone with Covid-19 illness, wear a mask before coming into contact with them.
- People with specific medical illnesses or medications that can drain their immune systems might not be protected entirely, even if vaccinated. Therefore, they must be vigilant and adopt additional protections by wearing a mask.
- Adopting social distancing and keeping at least 6 feet distance from others while interacting is also one of the most suited approaches to stop the spread of Coronavirus.
- Try to avoid overcrowded and poorly ventilated spaces. If it is impossible, wear a mask and keep a 6 feet distance from others. You can also adopt these essential hygiene habits in public to reduce the risk of catching the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Proper hand hygiene
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds with antibacterial soap or liquid hand wash, especially after sneezing or coughing.
- Ensure you wash your hands before eating or preparing food, touch your face after using the restroom, care for sick individuals, touch pets, and handling your mask.
- If soap or water is unavailable, using a hand sanitizer that protects against 99.9% of germs is a simple, fast, and effective way to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.
Clean & disinfect
- Clean high-touch surfaces such as tables, doorknobs, switches, desks, phones, toilets, floors, etc., regularly or as needed, especially after public gatherings.
- If someone is sick or tested positive for Covid-19, clean and disinfect the surfaces, they have frequently touched using disinfectant spray or antibacterial wipes.
- Use multipurpose household disinfectant products, including floor cleaners and antiseptic liquid, for disinfecting household surfaces, floors, and objects.
- If the surfaces are visibly dirty, clean them using soap, detergent, or water before disinfecting.
In the trial of the Coronavirus pandemic, many countries’ economies have suffered unprecedented losses, with UAE being no exception.
However, the Covid-19 aftermath has started taking a positive turn due to mass vaccination drives and several health guidelines.
With the government safety measures, businesses, companies, and industries reopening, people are returning to work, and the countries’ economies are gradually returning to normal sooner than expected.
Read more about Coronavirus and how to protect yourself from it.