KEEPING TOYS CLEAN AND GERM FREE
Everybody knows how fascinated a child is with placing things in their mouth. So keeping all of their toys clean and germ free should be at the top of your priority list.
The most important tip Dettol Professionals can share with you is to keep your child’s play area clean and disinfected from germs. Any surface that your child leaves their toys on should remain disinfected to minimize the risk of exposing your little one to germs during their fun time. You can use a diluted antiseptic disinfectant such as Dettol Antiseptic Liquid, which is recommended by doctors and trusted by 9 out of 10 moms. Unlike other disinfectants, an antiseptic disinfectant gives your child better germ protection as it ensures the toys are free from 100 illness-causing germs.
Apart from maintaining a germ-free environment, you should also take care of your baby’s toys as well to maximize their health and happiness.
Sterilising plastic toys
- Use a mixture of water and a disinfectant that’s safe for usage on baby items. For a natural option, you could also mix equal amounts of distilled vinegar and water.
- If the plastic in the toys won’t melt, wash them at a high degree of 76 Celsius in the dishwasher. The heat will sterilise it.
- If your child has taken their toy outside, make sure to hose it down properly. This will remove the big stains before you proceed with sanitising it with soap and disinfectant.
- Special attention needs to be paid to the toys and dummies that are taken to the bathtub. It is essential to wring them after use and hang them to dry. Else, the humidity could become a host to bacteria and cause your little one to get sick.
Sanitising electronic toys
- Remove the batteries.
- Dip a piece of cloth in dishwashing detergent with water, then squeeze it well and wipe the toy with it. Be careful not to leave excess water in it, to avoid it seeping into the toy and ruining it.
- Once done cleaning, use another cloth to wipe the entire surface with antiseptic.
- After the toy dries out, use a cloth dipped in clear water to wipe the surface once again to remove any excess detergent.
Sanitising big and plush toys
- Most stuffed animals and plushies can be washed in a washing machine. If this option is feasible for you, then be sure that this is the most thorough way of cleaning.
- Tend to any visible stains before placing the toy in the washing machine. Wash it with cold water on a gentle cycle.
- You can use a dryer on top heat to dry out the toys since the high temperature would also sterilise it, but only do this if you’re certain the toy won’t shrink. Otherwise, you can just dry it out with a towel, then hang it to dry.
- Alternatively, you can use Dettol’s Disinfectant Spray for a regular and hassle-free disinfection of plush toys, as it is safe and recommended for use on soft surfaces. All you have to do is shake can well, hold 15-20 cm from the toy and spray surface until covered with mist, then allowing it to air dry. There is no need to wipe.
And finally, some parting tips from Dettol Professionals
- Always use trusted and known antiseptics and detergents.
- If you’re using any chemicals, use protective gloves and goggles.
- Get familiar with the protocols you should follow in case of accidental spills.
- Never mix chemicals! Do not even pour one chemical in any container that has residues of a different one.
- Always correctly store bleaches in safe spots out of your baby’s reach.
- Keep them away from direct sunlight as it could decrease their ability to kill germs.
Wishing you and your baby a fun, germ-free time with sanitised toys!
*All products mentioned are for external use only.
Dettol ASL to be used at a 1:20 dilution ratio with water.
Always rinse surfaces after usage.
Antiseptic Liquid Original
A house is not a home without the iconic Dettol Antiseptic Liquid. A non-poisonous disinfectant that can be used for first aid & around the home - providing all-round family protection against germs. Recommended by medical professionals.