Sterilizing Baby Bottles: The 3 Safest Methods
When your baby starts drinking milk from bottles, it's important to pay close attention to hygiene details to ensure health and safety. Here are some of the easiest ways to sterilise your baby's bottles:
First: Boiling Water
- Bring all the bottles and bottle parts together, including the nipple and the cap.
- Fill three quarters of a medium-sized pot with water and bring it to a boil. When the water starts to boil, completely disassemble all the bottles.
- Once boiling, place all the bottles and parts inside the water using a plastic tong – which also can be used to push the floating bottles down.
- Do not leave the nipple connected to the rest of the bottle. Remove it and place it in the water for no longer than 30 seconds.
- Leave the rest of the parts in for at least 5 minutes, which should be sufficient to kill all bacteria. Then use the tong again to take them out of the water and place them on a clean towel to dry.
- Alternatively, you could dry them manually once they have cooled down enough to touch.
Second: The Microwave
- Another easy way to sterilise baby bottles is by steam in a microwave.
- Start by cleaning the microwave with Dettol Kitchen Trigger Spray. Follow by filling half of the bottle with water and place it in the microwave for a minute or two.
- Use an oven glove to extract the hot bottles from the microwave, pour the water out, and leave the bottles to air dry on a clean towel. Again, manual drying is also an option once the bottles are cold enough for you to hold them.
Third: Bottle Sterilisers
- These devices also use microwave power and steam to sterilise baby bottles, but encase them with a plastic cover for a more thorough sterilisation.
- These useful sterilisers are widely available, and cost around half as much as standard electric sterilisers.
- Make sure you clean and sanitise the machine itself before using it for the bottles.
Remember to always wash your hands with Dettol handwash before nursing or preparing food. It is also advisable to clean any surfaces the bottle is prepared on with a disinfectant solution, such as Dettol Antiseptic Liquid**, or Dettol Healthy Kitchen Power Cleaner Trigger Spray if prepared in the kitchen.
*For external use only.
**Avoid contact with eyes.
Antiseptic Liquid Original
A house is not a home without the iconic Dettol Antiseptic Liquid. A non-poisonous disinfectant that can be used for first aid & around the home - providing all-round family protection against germs.