How to maintain proper hygiene while breastfeeding outside the house
If you've started going out with your nursing baby, you've reached a new milestone in your relationship with them. But you can enjoy the moment without depriving them of breast milk, especially if hygiene is one of your concerns.
Here are a few tips and some useful information to maintain proper hygiene while breastfeeding – whether at home or if you're out and about.
- Make sure you clean and sanitise your hands with Dettol sanitiser when outside of home.
- Avoid using any alcohol containing substance directly on the nipples. These could cause serious damage to your skin and increase the risk of developing dry and chapped nipples.
- If your skin feels dry, use Dettol’s Skincare antibacterial bodywash, which also nourishes and moisturises your skin while providing it with trusted germ protection.
- If you're using breast pads, it's wise to change them frequently as leaving them for too long creates a warm, moist and sugary breeding ground for bacteria or yeast.
- Buy a cotton bra that's not too tight, in order to enable maximum air flow and absorption.
- Choose a bra that fits you perfectly and which allows enough room for a breast pad, so that all excess moisture is absorbed.
- If you work out, your baby might object to nursing from sweaty breasts. In this case, just shower or wash away the sweat from your breasts with water and reduce the risk of growing bacteria.
- Change your bra every day as it's prone to getting dirty much faster than your regular bra prior to nursing.
- Pack an extra change of bras and breast pads in your baby bag every time you go out.
Original Hand Sanitizer
Simple, fast and effective, Dettol Instant Hand Santiser protects against 99.9% of germs. With no need for soap or water, it’s a great hygiene solution for mums and families needing on the go protection, whilst leaving your hands feeling refreshed & non-sticky.