Your living room is probably one of the busiest rooms in your home, as it’s where family members and friends come to relax and spend time together.
Usually, there is little risk of germs spreading from your living room floors to furniture unless you have young children or pets. However, your floors and furniture can be prime ‘landing spots’ for dust and allergens, including debris from dust mites, pollen, mould spores and pet allergens (dander).
This can be a real issue if you are an allergy sufferer.
Why are living rooms hotspots for dust, allergens and germs?
Surfaces such as soft furnishings, carpets, curtains, bookcases and other shelving can all collect dust, germs and indoor allergens such as house dust mite debris, pet hair, mould spores and pollen. If you or one of you family members is sensitive to these allergens, regular cleaning will help reduce exposure to them considerably. Remember, the more frequently you clean your home, the quicker and easier it will become.
How to keep your living room hygienically clean:
- Vacuuming is the most effective way to remove dust, pet dander, dust mites and other debris from carpets and soft furnishings. If you have an allergy sufferer in the home use a vacuum fitted with a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter.
- If you have hard wood or vinyl flooring, damp dust using Dettol Antibacterial Floor wipes. Always leave floors to dry completely before allowing children and pets to walk on them.
- If soft furnishings and carpets become wet (due to an accident or steam cleaning), make sure they are dried quickly in order to prevent mould growth.
- Upholstery and soft fabric will trap and collect dust. Where possible, choose hard materials such as wood, leather, vinyl or treated canvas to limit allergens on your furniture.
- Choose machine-washable covers for cushions, pillows and seat covers and wash them regularly.
- Untreated, rough wood and ornate furniture traps more dust mites and debris than furniture with a smooth finish.
- Cupboards and display cabinets are easier to maintain if they have closed doors.
- Curtains attract dust in their material folds and can be awkward to clean. Vertical blinds are the best choice for minimal dust, which should be cleaned regularly by damp dusting or by using Dettol Antibacterial Surface wipes.
- Lampshades, paintings and hanging decorations are all dust traps that must be cleaned regularly, before dust particles become airborne.
- Use dust-collecting cloths or wipes to capture dust particles and limit the spread of allergens.
- Damp dust shelves, tables and other hard surfaces using Dettol Surface Cleansing Wipes. This prevents allergens becoming airborne whilst effectively removing debris.
- Try to minimize clutter to make cleaning easier. The more ornaments, books and photograph frames you have on display, the more surfaces there are to keep clean.
- Place hard-to-clean items in cupboards, drawers, or display cabinets with glass doors to avoid exposing them to dust.
How to reduce the spread of germs in your living room:
It’s not just allergens and dust that collect in your living room. Germs and bacteria can also cause problems, so it’s important to make sure you watch out for key ‘hot spot’ areas:
- Everyday objects such as the TV remote, light switches, telephones and door handles should be cleaned and disinfected regularly to avoid spreading germs from person to person.
- It’s much easier to keep hard floors clean and than it is carpets. Machine-washable rugs are a hygienic alternative that will keep your living room looking cosy as well as clean.
- Any spillages such as blood, vomit or urine should be cleaned up as soon as possible using disposable cloths. Make sure the surface is thoroughly disinfected and dry before using again.
Look after your cleaning supplies:
- Clean, disinfect and dry your mop and bucket after each use to remove lingering bacteria, then store dry with the mop head facing upwards.
- Make sure you either use disposable cleaning cloths or disinfect them after every use.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly after cleaning your home